Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

Multiple Random System Lock-Ups requiring Hard-Reset


Hello,

I'm new to the blog so thank you in advance to anyone who is willing to help me try and resolve my issues.

I recently built the PC I am currently experiencing this issue on. I have built several gaming PC's in the past, but never have I experienced any consistent issues such as this.

The PC Speccs are as follows:

CPU- AMD FX-9590 Vishera 8-Core 4.7GHz Cooled with a:CORSAIR Hydro Series H75 Liquid CPU Cooler 120mm
MOBO-ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+
GPU-2x EVGA GeForce GTX 970s in SLi (4GB GDDR5)
Power Supply-COOLMAX CUG-950B 950W ATX12V v2.3 EPS12V v2.91 SLi Certified
RAM-16GB HyperX DDR3 SDRAM
HD(s)-1x Western Digital 1TB 32MB Cache, 1x Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache
OS-Windows 10

I built the PC in mid February of this year, 2015. This particular issue started happening consistently (daily basis) in June. While gaming, my PC will all of a sudden, at random, lock up completely. I try Alt+f4, Ctrl+Alt+Del, and Alt+Tab, but nothing responds. The PC just stays like this until I'm forced to do a hard-reset at the tower.

I've tried just about everything I can think of to resolve this problem. I thought since it only happens when I game that perhaps it's a cooling issue and my system is overheating. However, I've ran a slew of programs to monitor heat and none show anything abnormal.
Many articles suggested malware or spyware might be causing the lock-ups. So I've chosen to clean my system daily but the issue still persists.
At one point I was able to eliminate the problem completely for nearly 3 weeks by changing my power settings from 'Power-Saver' to 'High-Performance'. Unfortunately, the issue came back. Asus Suite II regularly reports power fluctuations which leads me to believe it might possibly be a failing Power-Supply but I'm just not sure.

Windows Event Viewer lists a myriad of different application and system errors each time it happens. Recently however, it is always showing errors from Microsoft.Windows.Store, DistributedCOM, and Service Control Manager, all coinciding with the exact time the system locks up and becomes unresponsive.
It's worth noting that this system started out running Windows 7 Home Premium and just recently upgraded to Windows 10. The problem existed regardless of OS.

I appreciate any and all ideas and help with this. I'm at a complete loss, this problem happens multiple times a day and is incredibly frustrating.
  • debug-om9PC-xxxx.zip (159.6 KB, 1 views)

Hi Omagon,

Welcome to the 10blog.

I see you don't experience any BSOD?
This is a performance issue, please create a new thread at Performance and Maintenance section.

Daemon tools, Alcohol 120% and Power Archiver Pro uses SCSI Pass Through Direct (SPTD), which is a well known cause for BSOD's.
Please remove Daemon Tools and run the SPTD pass through remover.

  1. Uninstall Daemon Tools
  2. Download the SPTD standalone installer and follow these steps:
    • Double click the executable to open it
    • Click on the button shown below




If the button is grayed out, like in the image, there is no more SPTD installation on your system, and you can close the window.

Please remove any ASUS utililty installed, these cause problems from performance issues to bluescreens.

Multiple Random System Lock-Ups requiring Hard-Reset