Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

What is Windows 10 Build?


Windows 10 has 3D Builder which is a little graphics app.


I get the impression that Windows 10 Build is nothing like this but the word Build is confusing me.

Can some one explain what Windows 10 Build is for – does?

Windows Build denotes what build number your Windows 10 OS is.

Windows 10 Build Number - Find


I posted this elsewhere:.
What is Windows 10 Build?
But I don’t understand the answer.
This thread is closed
Whoa! Another Windows 10 PC build! Build 10159

So I’m trying again here. If this is not the appropriate place, can someone give me some other options……….the best place to put it?

Windows 10 has 3D Builder which is a little graphics app.


I get the impression that Windows 10 Build is nothing like this but the word Build is confusing me.

Can some one explain what Windows 10 Build is for – does?

consider the "Build" as meaning the version number...
the higher the number, the newer the build or version..

Build or Version 1
Build or Version 2
etc

As is often the case terms like "Build" have multiple meanings depending on context, just as with many English words. One meaning is a version number, a term that has been used by software developers for many years. Then there is 3D Builder, a graphics program. There is no relationship between the two usages.

One version can have multiple builds, but higher number does not necessarily mean better, just different.
When a build reaches a certain point of advancements, which prove reliable, it is released as a new version.

Thanks all,

But these are similar answers to the one I first got and I don’t understand.
My Windows version is abundantly clear and easy to find all over my computer. So why would I need an app for this?

.............My Windows version is abundantly clear and easy to find all over my computer. So why would I need an app for this?..................

You don't.
But you brought up the subject of " 3D Builder which is a little graphics app."
For that, LMiller7 gave you the reply in post #3.

You do not need any app to see what build number you are on. Consider the word build to be similar to the word version.

A word like "Build" will have multiple meanings depending on context. Any good dictionary will show several. To a software developer "Build" means to compile the source code into the finished product. A number is often used with the build to uniquely identify the order in which they were made. There might be several builds in a day or sequential build numbers might be days apart. For a variety of reasons some numbers might be skipped. Many build numbers are used internally by Microsoft and never released to the public.

Many applications will also use the word "Build" but there is no implication they have anything in common with the usage by Microsoft. The same word but different meanings.

What is Windows 10 Build?