Location:
State:
Carrier
Country
Status

How to Install Star Trek Legacy on Windows 10 / Incompatible Program


This is for Windows 10. I am not sure if this process will work on other operating systems.

Like many of you, I have old games for previous operating systems that I really enjoy play but are "incompatible". I have managed to get them working on Windows 10. One of them, Star Trek: Legacy, was one of the ones I had the most problems with. Another is Tiger Woods 08. I have other games as well but I will explain that in another post as to keep them organized for searching reasons.

YES!It is possible to install Star Trek: Legacy on a clean build and not just a build that was upgraded from a previous operation system where the game was installed.

This walkthrough is not tough to do but it does require some back end knowledge of windows operating systems. I give this walk though as a "use at your own risk". If OS corruption or computer failure happens because this walk through did not work, I will not, nor can not be held responsible. With that out of the way, lets get started. This is what I did...


  • Copy the entire contents of the disc to a folder on your hard drive.



  • Acquire this program (I had it on another disk that would actually install in windows 10): WindowsInstaller-KB893803-x86
  • (I don't know if this is actually needed but the install worked after this)


  • Turn off windows defender and DEP (Data Execution Prevention)
  • (There are extensive tutorials on the internet on how to do this so I won't re-hash it here)



  • While holding down "SHIFT", re-start the computer and select advanced options (Safe mode, disable driver signing, etc). When the computer reboots, select "Disable Driver Signing".
  • (Again, I'm not sure if this actually helps but its worth doing)



  • Once your computer has rebooted, go to the folder where you copied the contents of the game disc and edit the file called Setup.ini. It is a configuration file. Make sure you "Edit" the file and keep the .ini otherwise this won't work. Add this line to the setup.ini under [MsiVersion] on a new line, keeping the other line that is already there.
  • 3.1.4000.2435=SupportOSMsi30


  • Then add these lines under [Languages] --> [Setup.bmp] --> Type=0 on a new line.
  • [WindowsInstaller-KB893803-x86.exe]
  • Type=0
  • Location=WindowsInstaller-KB893803-x86.exe

Set all .exe files for "Run as Admin" and Compatibility to "Vista SP2" (If allowed). Now load the setup program from the folder on your hard drive and it should install. The install is VERY slow and it will seem like it isn't installing. Windows may pop up and disappear. Don't fret, eventually it will install. If you get impatient and try to start it again, it will cause both installations to fail. If you do get error warnings, just restart the install. It took me about 3 installs to finally get it to go but I got impatient and clicked the setup program because I thought it wasn't installing.

Install your mods/patches and you're set!

I worked on this for a couple of days with lots of frustration so all the hard work is done for you! I hope you enjoy this walk through to get your game installed.

Be sure to re-enable windows defender and DEP (Data Execution Prevention) when it is installed.

How to Install Star Trek Legacy on Windows 10 / Incompatible Program